It’s the middle of February which means that it’s prime fruit tree pruning season. But before you dive in, there are a few important steps that you should take.
- Always start by removing leftover fruit from last season.
- Keep lower branches and horizontal branches as they are easier to reach and work with.
- Learn the type of branches/wood your type of fruit tree fruits on and be sure to preserve it.
- Remove vertical water sprouts.
- Work towards training or selecting your main branches so that they will be spaced evenly apart, radiating out from the trunk evenly avoiding overlap.
So pick a nice mild day and go for it! Remember to read and identify each type of fruit tree for specific care information such as whether they will fruit on old or new growth. Call today to have your ornamental or fruiting trees pruned!